Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just dropped the transmission pan on my 1995 ford

Customer Question
I just dropped the...

I just dropped the transmission pan on my 1995 ford explorer, and changer the filter, and all went well, however how much new fluid should I expect "approx." to add, thank you Arthur in Miami

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

185000 - it been better, the car has been sitting for 9 years while I took care of my elderly mother, she passed and I was T-boned in her corolla, not at fault, I'm 69 years old, and talking care of mom ruined me, but I would do it again, but the explorer is all I have, and I took good care of it with nothing but Mobile-1, the manual says 91/2 quarts, but after 6 quarts, the stick was way high, I can siphone out what ever is necessart, but I was just wondering what would be the usually amount, thanks, ***** ***** miami

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I dropped the pan, cleaned it very well, used a little bit of new grease to hold the new gasket in place, reinstalled the pan, and new filter with a diamond pattern for the bolts and torqued to spects, added 3 quarts and the stick showed nothing so I added a total of 6 quarts, and now the fluid is very high on a semi cold engine after going around the block and going in reverse for a block, so how many quarts should I expect to add form the beginning, I know how to sipphone some out with a clear vinly hose if necessary, also it runs great, thank you very much, Arthur

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/18/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello Arthur

the auto transmission on these takes 9.5 ltrs or 8.4 quarts of Dexron III type fluid

but this includes the amount needed to fill the torque convertor, as that won't be drained when you empty the sump pan and a typical fill is about 5 quarts but it will really depend on how much was still hung up inside the transmission when you dropped the pan off

as you can get another quart out by dropping the valve body off for example

It sounds like you may have overfilled its slightly but I'd check its level with the gearbox and engine warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you