Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It is low on tranny fluid i found Dex III fluid in the

Customer Question
It is low on...

It is low on tranny fluid i found Dex III fluid in the garage can i use that to fill so i can get to the store and get the additive

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ford?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Storm yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its a taurus .... I need to add fluid it check the dip stick and its low and the car was smoking because there is no fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?

128000

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I believ coolant

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/16/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Sorry to say, you cannot mix or use the Dextron with the Mercon V ford transmission fluid. This will damage the transmission if it's not already damaged. It will destroy the friction surfaces.

Sorry there isn't a better answer, but you can't even mix the two without causing a problem.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Ok

Sorry, I just don't want to see you damage the transmission and cause bigger problems then you already have.

Thanks.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.