Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a 2004 rondeavou all wheel drive when i take off it

doesn't want to go in...
I have a 2004 rondeavou all wheel drive when i take off it doesn't want to go in gear right away does this mean the trans is going out or something else
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: no does the break switch cause this type of acyion
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: buick 2004 rendezvous all wheel drive
JA: Are you fixing your Rendezvous yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no just want to no will it need a new trans after it goes into gear it is fine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
11/16/2017
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing to check is to make sure the transmission fluid is at the correct level.If it is low this can cause gear engagement issues and would indicate there is a leak needing repaired.The leak would need repaired and fluid adjusted to the proper level.If the fluid level is o.k. then the next thing to do is to have the fault codes checked/read out with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and can read all computers to see what codes are set.If any codes are set those codes will need diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.

If no codes are set and fluid is full you could have a worn clutch or band in the transmission needing replaced.You would have to have the transmission removed and inspected internally to locate the fault then determined if you want to spend the money to repair it or just replace the transmission.In some cases it can be cheaper to install a used or remanufactured transmission then to repair it.

If the shifter is not shifting into gear at all or hard to get into gear this is usually the shifter cable itself at fault needing replaced which is far less expensive then replacing or repairing the transmission.

So this would need to be looked into further to determine which is the cause then repaired from there.It all depends on what is occuring here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Pete, Automotive Mechanic