Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a 1999 Montero Sport Auto 3.0L 4x4 with 154k this is

in limp mode. Scanner pulls...
I have a 1999 Montero Sport Auto 3.0L 4x4 with 154k this is in limp mode. Scanner pulls one code P1751. Jumped pin 1 to 4 on the obdII socket and got one code 54. Replaced transmission fluid, transmission filter, and A/T control relay.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/16/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Are you sure P1751 is accurate. I so far am not finding that this model can store this code.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can’t afford call. Bought a $25 prepaid visa and already gave the site $21 of the $25. I’m on a tight budget as a singer father of two

At the transmission solenoid connector, are either of the 2 red/blue wires powered with the key in the run position?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no idea. I don’t even know where the solenoid connector is. Also...the other day I started it up and and put it into drive and no limp mode. Drove for 20 min and back in limp mode at the exact same time as I had hit a big bump in the road. The bump clearly caused it to come back

This signifies it is an intermittent wire issue. Will you be able to do electrical diagnostics?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m capable but don’t have a multimeter. I can pick one up at harbor freight tomorrow

Can you report back then. This code is for the trans relay not getting power to the PCM and transmission. This is likely to be a wiring concern. Below is a link to the wire diagram linked to this diagnostics we are going to perform.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mysznus0g680iso/montero.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for the delay...I got the wiring diagram but have no idea where to start.

On the diagram top right see the AT relay.

At the relay left to right pin 1 power all the time, pin 2 ground all the time, pin 4 relay signal to turn on, a power from the PCM, pin 3 output power from the relay as a result of the relay closing. This output power goes to the PCM and transmission. The code from the PCM says this power to it is not being received from a broken wire, bad relay, or a PCM concern where as the PCM is not commanding the relay on. One of those is to blame causing this code. You have to test and find out which is missing and why and when and can you make it come and go by wiggling wires.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I test the four pins

First off is to use your volt meter to see if there is 10+ dc volts from the relay to the transmission at the wires I spoke about prior.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what transmission wires are you referring to and where are they located?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok...so I purchased a multimeter and checked the voltage for the connector that the Transmission Control Relay plugs into and this is what I gotWith key in the off positionBlack wire. 0v
White wire. 12.59v
Green/white 0v
Red/black. 0vWith key in the on positionBlack wire. 0.01
White wire. 12.33v
Green/white 0v
Red/black. 0v
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correction....the red/black wires are actually red/blue
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Chris, I just gave you a five star rating. Did you get my message regarding the voltage readings for the connector that the A/T Control Relay plugs into?

Just got home a bit ago and got all caught up, on this now.

Key in the run position, was the relay still plugged up?

Key in the run position the white/green wire should be powered. if not then your PCM is bad or the PCM is missing power and ground pin signals to it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Those readings were from the connector without the relay plugged in. Couldn’t there be a problem with wiring to the pcm from the battery? Is there a way to confirm for sure if the pcm is bad
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have access to another pcm locally part # MD357513 that was pulled out of a 1999 Montero 3.0 just like mine although that montero was a 2WD. Would it work in my 4WD.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I plugged in the other pcm would it just not work or would it damage anything

nest you would need to confirm all PCM power and ground inputs are good and phm test the WH/GN wire from the relay to the PCM to confirm it is not broken.

2wd to 4wd PCM swap would work for testing but not for using as a replacement.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh boy...What would it do if I plugged in the other pcm? It wouldn’t drive at all?

I can not honestly answer what would happen because I am a dealer tech and we are not allowed to try a swap that we know we should not. Speed sensors are likely to be the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you would recommend that I didn’t? If it’s the pcm I’m screwed and will most likely have to get rid of the truck. Cheapest price I can find for the 4x4 pcm is like $600. If it is infact the pcm and advice on where I might find a better deal for a pcm

I would use it to test with but not to drive with. 600$ is cheaper than a new car payment. Have you tried www.car-parts.com or LKQ.com

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just found another pcm that is a 3.0 4WD but it’s from a 1998 and mines a 1999. Would cost me only $50. Would that work

It is worth a shot, however you are assuming the PCM is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your right....what’s my next step?

Next you would need to confirm all PCM power and ground inputs are good and phm test the WH/GN wire from the relay to the PCM to confirm it is not broken.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok...so I talked the guy into letting me try his 1999 3.0 2WD PCM to make sure it worked before buying. I installed it and it was still in limp mode with check engine. Same exact behavior with both PCM’s. So that eliminates a bad PCM, correct? I’m no expert but it appears that I have a wiring issue between the battery and PCM, right? By the way I really appreciate your help and if you could help me down the home stretch here I’ll definitely give you a nice tip.

Using this link can you conform all the PCM powers and grounds are good to the PCM.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk2phxonvdl8bqw/montero12.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi Chris, I check continuity between the A/T relay connector where the relay goes into and it’s good with no breaks in the wire. That pretty much means that there must be an issue between the battery and pcm correct?

There is a concern with the PCM powers and grounds. The battery is not wired to the PCM.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
What powers the pcm
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Concerns about the PCM powers and grounds. How do I check them

You check them using a volt/ohm meter. I sent a link on the 17th at noon showing all the wires connected to the PCM. Did you get it?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi Chris, just now getting a chance to put some more time into the truck. I had a chance to get under the truck to search for wiring that had been damage or unplugged somehow. I noticed that one of harness connectors that plugs into the transmission appears to be melted / damages. I had a oil leak a while back ( fixed now ) but looks as if it had been leaking right onto the harness connector. Could that be the issue. I went to the junk yard yesterday and picked up a near perfect replacement connector. Also, can you send me any type of illustrations/pictures of my transmission and it’s wiring diagram. Let me know
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Almost forgot....here is my vin so you can determine the trans I have

Yes that wire damage can be to blame.

Here is the trans wire diagram . https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwfpsmwwmtv2jko/monterosport.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Hi Chris...one last thing I can really use your help on. I’m trying to replace the shift solenoid 1 in the transmission on my 1999 Montero Sport 3.0 4WD. I have the oil pan, filter removed and there is a total of five of them. Four of them side by side than a gap than the fifth one by itself. Can you tell me what each of the 5 solenoids are and ultimately which one is the number one solenoid? Thanks so much
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician