Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

How do you remove the rear axle shafts on a 2001 Isuzu

Customer Question
Vehicross? No Isuzu was available...
How do you remove the rear axle shafts on a 2001 Isuzu Vehicross? No Isuzu was available to select, so I just chose auto mechanics
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/15/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Here are replacement instructions, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks. https://www.dropbox.com/s/sug8gcu2wqlu896/asrr.pdf?dl=0​

This appears to be for front axles/cv shafts..I'm looking for great axle shafts

The Instructions I have are pretty vague without any pictures, would you like me to open question back up to see if someone else has a better procedure?

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:
    • Rear wheel
    • Disc brake caliper and bracket
    • Disc brake rotor
    • Wheel speed sensor bracket
    • Parking brake cable and bracket
    • Parking brake shoes
    • Axle shaft
    • Snapring and discard it
    • Bearing, press it off the axle shaft with the bearing holder and oil seal

To install:

3. Install or connect the following:
    • New oil seal into the bearing housing
    • Bearing housing onto the axle shaft
    • Bearing, press it onto the axle shaft
    • New snapring
    • Axle shaft. Use new lockwashers and tighten the bearing holder nuts to 54 ft. lbs. (74 Nm).
    • Parking brake shoes
    • Parking brake cable and bracket
    • Wheel speed sensor bracket
    • Disc brake rotor
    • Disc brake caliper and bracket. Tighten the bracket bolts to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm).
    • Rear wheel
  4. Check the rear axle oil level and adjust as necessary.
Hey Dan no that's ok..all brakes and sensors are off and the axle flange bolts are off but I can only pull the axles out about an inch and they won't come any further..they feel spongy kind of when i try to pull them out like something is sticking and keeping the axle from coming all the way out..of course the directions just say to remove it with no "how" :)

Have you removed differential cover to make sure nothing inside is being overlooked?

No diff cover on this one Dan.. this is set up like a Ford 9"..whole diff assembly comes out of the axle from the front side of it

I'll open question up to see if someone else has worked on this differential and can give you a better idea of what needs to be done. Thanks.

Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

The prior tech has opted out. Use these steps https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5idenuw79rotm0/vehicross.pdf?dl=0 You will follow most but not all of these steps. Nothing has to be at the center of the axle housing where the differential is. One disassembled at the wheels and rotor area, the axles will pull out freely.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician