Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It seems to be skipping 3rd gear. Ran it through gears

Customer Question
It seems to be...

It seems to be skipping 3rd gear. Ran it through gears manually and all of them work but in drive, when shifting to 4th (or highest gear) it revs RPMs up to 4000-4500 before shifting. I checked transmission fluid level and it was under the minimum mark (yes, checked with engine running and at operating temp) so I added to bring level to middle of acceptable level. Transmission still not shifting properly / skipping 3rd and taking RPMs up to 4000-4500 before final shift.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

Checked it 3 days ago when I added the fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your transmissions?

2008 Ford Escape XLT...not sure of model of transmission.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Oh no...transmission work is beyond me. So far I've only tried what I outlined above. I reset the maintenance/wrench light and it didn't come back on until last night when I was manually shifting it to check the gears on a one mile test drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The problem seems to have started when I had to goose it a bit making a turn onto a service road as a car was coming. As I turned, it seemed to jump out of gear altogether, revved up to around 6500 rpm and then wanted to sputter when I went to accelerate going down the on ramp. Then it seemed to right itself except that it started skipping 3rd.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/15/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Kenny Z., Master Trans Tech replied 8 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Master Trans Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

The most common problem for this symptom is a cracked weld on the direct clutch drum assembly. The crack allows a hydraulic leak to the direct clutch, resulting in a severe slip or engagement loss at the 2/3 shift. The remedy is transmission overhaul or replacement. This is the only failure I have seen for this symptom, have repaired dozens for this concern. Over time the the crack can get larger and start to affect engagements to reverse and forward as well. The drum has the forward, direct and reverse clutches integrated into the same assembly.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Did you need any further assistance?