Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It is in limp mode, the mechanic thinks it needs a new

Customer Question
It is in limp...

It is in limp mode, the mechanic thinks it needs a new transmission but doesn't add up. fluids are clean, no sediment in pan, and doesn't give any codes when put on tester

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

The vehicle has been at Meineke for the last few weeks. I do not know what codes he has received, but now he is not getting any codes. vehicle was driving fine, all of a sudden I received the wrench light and the vehicle acted like it was in neutral. had it towed to them and they cant come up with anything other than it is "probably the transmission" Prior to going into limp mode, there was no slipping, no grinding and no indication that there was any problem. now they can get it to go about 10 mph and the speedometer will read around 90.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 f150 fx4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not. I haven't tried anything myself. What they are saying doesn't make sense for it to be the transmission. I feel a new transmission is an expensive trial and error solution and noticed there are a lot of reports of problems with the older f150s. hoping to get better educated

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am not sure what he may need, so I guess not

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/15/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

The wrench light is clearly an indication of the vehicle going into "limp mode", (obviously).

There will definitely have trouble codes, a full scan is required not just powertrain, all must be read including TCM.

The most common issue is the throttle unit, but if the PCM has no codes, then that will not be the issue.

A trouble code could be in the Transmission Module, which could indicate a bad speed sensor.

Saying probably the transmission as you said is not a clear indication as a transmission failure

If you have time, please take a moment to leave me a rating so I can receive credit for the question, it will mean so much to me :). We can still continue the question if you have more questions after rating me :). It was my pleasure.