Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmission is getting hit and it stalls when reversing.

Customer Question
Transmission is getting hit...

Transmission is getting hit and it stalls when reversing

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Only stalls in reverse and yes engine light is on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GM?

2005 2500HD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I changed the tranny filter and put in a new tranny cooler

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/14/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic

Good morning,

This transmission is typically pretty stout and problem free so there aren't many experts that have seen failures with them. Do you know which trouble codes the vehicle is showing?

I I’d at one point but don’t now

I'm looking over the internal diagrams on this transmission and the only thing I can find that might make it stall in reverse only would be a stuck TCC solenoid. We really need to know which codes you are seeing to get an idea what might be going on.

I’m looking through my book and I actually found a few of the codes
P0102
P0455

Those aren't transmission related. They could cause a stall, but normally it would be in any gear and not just reverse. I'm wondering if maybe this isn't a transmission problem. If you unplug the connector at the MAF sensor can you see any signs of corrosion or damage?

Transmission Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic replied 7 months ago

Please let me know if you need additional info.