Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My transmission on my 2009 Honda Pilot isn't functioning…

Customer Question
My transmission on my...

My transmission on my 2009 Honda Pilot isn't functioning properly. My mechanic says hes getting codes P1743 and P1780 and says I need a new transmission soo I am trying to research these codes to see if that's true.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?

No, I am going off what he's telling me.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I was going to have him do it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/13/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic

Good afternoon.

I would say the mechanic is probably right about it needing a new transmission. Typically we only see the p01743 code when one of the following occurs:

• Shift solenoid valve 'E' has failed (it may be stuck off)
  • Main valve body is damaged or it has failed
  • Transmission has internal damage

Do you know whether the mechanic found metal debris in the transmission fluid?

As far as the p1780 is concerned the presence of this code indicates that the one or more trouble codes related to the Shift Control system are also set in memory.

So basically the second code sets as a result of the first.

Thanks. He didn't say he found anything in the transmission fluid.

You might get away with replacing just the valve body or the shift solenoid valve that is stuck, but typically when a solenoid sticks it starves the transmission for fluid in other areas causing damage.

Ok. Thanks. I will ask him about that as a possible repair.

Please let me know if you try to tackle the repairs yourself and need additional info.

Please let me know if you need additional info.