Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

D5 blinks it stays in 1st gear and won’t go in reverse when…

Customer Question
D5 blinks it stays...

D5 blinks it stays in 1st gear and won’t go in reverse when hot codes are p0780 and p1399

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

2000 tl and no I havent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes... changed tha fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also cleaned shifter solenoid

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/13/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Code P0780 indicates a mechanical fault with the shift solenoid A or a mechanical fault in the transmission itself.The diagnostic testing procedure needs followed below to locate the cause then repaired from there.

DTC P0780: Mechanical Problem in Hydraulic Control System of Shift Solenoid Valve A and A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valves A and B. or Problem in Hydraulic Control System

NOTE:
- Record all freeze data and review General Troubleshooting Information before you troubleshoot.
- Keep these replacement solenoid valves on hand:
- Shift solenoid valve A
- A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valves A and B

1. Check whether the OBD II scan tool indicates another code.
Does the OBD II scan tool indicate another code?
YES-Perform the troubleshooting flowchart for the indicated code(s). Recheck for code P0780 after troubleshooting.
NO-Go to step 2.
2. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
3. Replace the shift solenoid valve A.
4. Replace the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valves A and B.
5. Reset the PCM memory by removing the BACK UP fuse in the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box for more than 10 seconds.
6. Calibrate the engine control system in the PCM, and drive the vehicle for several minutes in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears in the D5 position.
7. Recheck for code P0780.
Does the OBD II scan tool indicate code P0780?
YES-Replace the transmission.
NO-The problem has been corrected.

P1399 is a random misfire code.This can be caused by plugged egr ports or a coil failing or injectors being dirty.This would need to be checked into further to locate which is the cause needing replaced or if the injectors need cleaned.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete