Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 ram 1500 4.7L 2x4. out of the blue it wont…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 ram 1500 4.7L 2x4. out of the blue it wont shift from 2nd gear to third gear, the acts like it in neutral and coasts

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Original with 66,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Havent tried it myself, had it towed to a garage that hasnt sent it to a tranny person yet. it is throwing no codes except third gear fault

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Had no problems with the tranny at all, it was just random. i had the motor pretty much rebuilt in april

11/13/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

this sound like a shifting solenoids in the valve body went bad ?

that is low miles for the trans to go, have fluid been replaced prior to the 66k miles ever

then need to scan it with gm scaner or equivalent and read teh Transmission fault and these solenoids will throw flag fault ,that gives a number and based on that we can pull up pin point troubleshoot ?

lets start here and we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I would ask them to scanned it for fault codes and change fluid and strain that fluid in funnel that has a screen and look for any shaved metal parts ,if clean ,refill and clear codes and retest ,if metal shavings found then most likely will need rebuild

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

would the shifting solenoid give a code?

yes sure would, make sure they a GM Tech II scanner , and that ill give what we call a number starting with a P000 code number and then we can look up troubleshoot and identify which solenoid doing it if it is

it is a common issue and based on that mileage it is most likely what happened here

thats the issue, did not throw any codes except third gear fault, but i can ask my mechanic to plug in again

make sure he is using the correct scanner, if he does not have the correct software in his scanner he can not see the tcm module to read the faults, like a basic code engine reader want show it

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today.
If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated.
However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

It is giving a code of P0733
it’s going to require a complete rebuild?
that is what sound like it unfortunat.ey , if you keeping it rebuild it if u selling go with usedYou are very welcome :)
Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My
my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted
or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite ExpertI'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone
Thank You
Chad Farhat
Ok, what would that run around
Used 500
Rebuild 1200 tops
Hmm was curios, just got a phone call with a quote of $2,400 to rebuild
Oh no , rip off ,
1400 tops
Call around
How long should the process take? I’m told 3 hrs to take out the tranny and 14 hrs to rebuild and 3 hrs to put back in
It 4.8 for r& r trans ,so he is off on r&r
And 14 hours for rebuild is correct .
Chad Farhat
Thank you for the Rating :)
If you need my assistance in the future Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page
You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800