Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I put in a used transmission and turned the linkage manually…

Customer Question
I put in a...

I put in a used transmission and turned the linkage manually to line up with my cable and now it will not go into gear it is an automatic and it is in a mini cooper 2006 s

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

No i cracked the case on the original one

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just moving the shifter to the cable

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do not think so i fixed the the problem that i had put it together and then i had a problem with the trany

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/13/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

1st thing to ask is does the gear selector display show you changing gears on the dash with the ignition on?

If not then next check that the brake lights work as the brake pedal switch is what allows it into gear

then if this is OK I'd say to disconnect the shifter cable again and ensure that the transmission selector moves in and out smoothly , do the same for the shifter cable

it gives a grind when going back into park it use to display the gears on the dash now it says EP do you know what that means? i is frustrating after i have gone through for this to happen. when i would use the paddle shifters it would show M1 and M2 is it not suppose to show more than that?

Hello

EP = emergency programming

so it will limit rpm to 3000rpm when this is lit

this can mean there's a fault with the transmission but its also very common if the battery voltage is low

check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

also check that the battery voltage

if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V