Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Flashing D transmission light on 08 Honda Odyssy. A couple…

Flashing D transmission light...

Flashing D transmission light on 08 Honda Odyssy

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the transmission fluid?

A couple weeks ago and was fine. Will check again. Noticed it takes a second or two when put into gear for transmission to engage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just noticed it an hour ago. Also slight burning scent inside

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not sure what this service it. Was just googling the issue

11/13/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

All the flashing D light is really telling you is that there is a problem with the transmission and there is a code stored in the transmission control module. With a slight burning smell, the first thing you would want to do is check the transmission fluid. If you've sprung a leak, then it might be causing the smell, and the light will come on. Otherwise to know the issue you will have to have it scanned. There are a couple of switches on the outside of the transmission that might be leaking and causing both issues as well.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Hello again were you able to get any codes? Do you need more help with this?

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Took van to Honda dealer and transmission pipe to heat exchanger corroded and drained fluid while my daughter was driving 100 miles. Tranny is toast and more to fix than van is worth. Bought a new Civic now for her at school.

Thanks for the follow up, and I have to say sorry to hear all this happened, but truly glad it's resolved.

Thank you for the rating!