Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 chrysler Sebring conv with 135700 miles. i…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 chrysler Sebring conv with 135700 miles. i serviced the transmission about 11000 miles ago. Since the car is so old, should I do the transmission more often? Also, how many miles should I go before I service it again? Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

About a week ago. Still red and in the full area

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I taking to a dealership to have it serviced when it needs it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How many miles is recommended to have it serviced?? Thank you

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/11/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Randall, ASE Master Tech replied 5 months ago
Randall
Randall, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I am Randall sorry for the delay. I am working on your question now. meantime it does shift ok?

Chrysler Maintenance calls for trans fluid is not changed, You only check fluid level and condition everey 15K. I know this sounds crazy as you dont change trans fluid? no you do not. The trans and fluid was designed for life of the vehicle.Yes, we all changed fluid much more often back when but fluids have changed designs have changed. Do i Trust this? yes/ no. I try to recommend at least one fluid change in life of the vehicle. You did one at about 125K, so from here on out? you no longer do a trans fluid change. Just keep eye on level and condition at each oil change.Sure,, you may have a shop try and sell you a trans fluid change but that is how the techs make $ , Chrysler does NOT support this , Its you do not change fluid in the trans, whole life of the vehicle. Me? I say once per life of vehicle. You have done that so you are 100% fine. Obviously things change should you happen to develop shifting problems or fluid getting dirty etc but doubt that will happen Your not hurting anything by changing it ssay every 1-2 years. that is up to you, I am saying it not required

Randall
Randall
Randall, ASE Master Tech