Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 BMW 5301 transmission fault with p1ec code from Bosch…

Customer Question
2007 BMW 5301 transmission...

2007 BMW 5301 transmission fault with p1ec code from Bosch 1200 obd2 scanner

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Did try to reset

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 530i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing! I ordered the transmission oil kit and seal sleeve

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was able turn car off and own and fault would go away now it just stay on and overheated with my wife but no coolant level warming

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
I also disconnected the battery and pulled the car fuses starting with #80 that's associated with the gear symbol
Answered in 2 days by:
11/12/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

you say that there's a transmission fault but how does the car drive with the fault?

any issues kicking down / accelerating? does it select gears correctly ?

also you say it overheated. I'm assuming that this was the engine? or was this the transmission showing as over heated?

In the past I would turn off the car and restart after getting the trans malfunction in yellow gear but my wife drove the car and see said it overheated but not sure if it said transmission or what. The coolant level was normal and now the gear symbol is in red and would not reset as before. I was getting a P17ec code but erased it yesterday and drive normal but now I'm hearing ticking that was there before.

Ok

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fillplug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you