Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have to remove my 5 speed manual trany to change the

Customer Question
I have to remove...

I have to remove my 5 speed manual trany to change the clutch how do I get the shifter out from the top

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Yes and I have the new one ready to install I need to know how the shifter stick comes out of the trany

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your transmissions?

1996 dodge ram 2500 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and I have been into the back of the trany and fixed the 5th gear all I need to know is how to get the shifter out from the top so I can drop the trany down

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/7/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

You will need to remove the shift boot and slide it up on the shaft. Then you need a special tool to remove the shifter handle. This link shows that special tool https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nobcyrkmx9mbbd/shiftlever.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris