Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I already paid but it skipped my info. 02 dodge3/4 ton

diesel Transmission making noise with...
I already paid but it skipped my info. 02 dodge3/4 ton diesel Transmission making noise with OD on over 30mph. But not with OD off. automatic. makes grinding whining slipping noise. replaced U joints. Shifts great
10/22/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • INFORMATION, I have no magic ball, please give me all the details you can.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Other than the noise, do you feel anything odd or notice any shifting issues?

Can you tell if the issue is in fact when it shifts into overdrive?

The truck shifts easily and smoothly. And you do not feel it in shifting or steering or tires. It seems to be in the middle front. It has been up on a rack. The noise will stop when put in neutral. There are times that I have driven it for someone that it did not start for a bit after hitting 50 mph. When you brake I whines down as you slow and stops. Then if go again and od on and get actually at abt 40 mph plus is when it starts. You can drive that speed of off and it won't make the noise. You can feel it some through the floor board and that is it.

The description of the noise is where I am hung up at. Grind I know, whine I know, what is a slipping noise?

Does it seem OD is engaging to soon when the speed is not high enough?

Is the whine there when accelerating and gone when coasting?

No. The slipping is almost like a belt or chain. I think I am going to have to buy a rebuild kit. It must be either the OD gear train or clutch plate. The whine is like a humming noise. Like something is slipping and not catching. It is hard to describe. That year had transmission troubles. And I may have worn out some part. I can't afford a new one so rebuild is all I can think of.
A sliding hissing noise like something is not catching but it does not affect power steering or ride.

Thanks, ***** ***** can tell from your description this noise is coming from within the transmission associated to the clutch and gear set used in OD. The gear set may be worn and damaged and or the clutch pack is leaking pressurized fluid at the piston seals.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician