Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

1996 Ford Taurus transmission Will not shift doesn't seem…

1996 Ford Taurus transmission...

1996 Ford Taurus transmission Will not shift doesn't seem like it's slipping fluid is fine but no shift just started out of the blue today

Mechanic's Assistant: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?

Started today

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yeah I am nothing yet going to get filter tomorrow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car has been good until today

10/21/2017
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, so it just acts like it is in neutral? It has no forward or reverse gear? Is the transmission full of fluid and does it smell burnt or black? No warning lights are one? How many miles are on the transmission?

no keeps going just don't shift fluid is a little dark but no burnt smell mileage on car I really don't know wife is at work and the doors are locked its a 96 so over 100k

so it starts off from a light in one gear only? It has reverse and manual 1st and second gear?

yeah got rev and 1st but no shift to higher gears
3rd and of
od

Ok, either there is a problem with the transmission range sensor reading the shifter is put in manual first gear, or there is a mechanical failure in the transmission and it is welded together inside and cannot upshift. A diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool needs to be done, then look at the transmission range sensor input to see if it is reading the OD range or if its reading manual 1st instead of OD. If it is reading manual first. Replace the transmission range sensor and retest.

I ordered a scan tool how hard is the range sensor to replace

No too difficult. Its on top of the transmission at the shifter cable hookup. Pop off the shifter cable and linkage. Make sure the transmission in in neutral. Unplug the large black connector to the sensor and remove the two 8mm bolts. Pull the sensor up and off. Install the new sensor. Make sure the two alignment marks line up. One is on the black sensor body and the other is on the center white collar. Lock it down and complete installation.

on a 96 where do I find the trans id #
its a gl

Its an AX4S transmission. The id tag is on top of the transmission near the shifter linkage

It also says on the bottom transmission pan the model type. Should be an AX4S, newer ones use an AX4S or an AX4N model.

we haven't had the car but a year or so should I go ahead and do the filter not knowing the past maint

Yes, that would be a good idea to do since you just purchased it and to see if any metal is in the transmission pan, indicating a bigger problem.

in your opinion what should I do first if I'm crawling under it I want to do all I can In one swipe

I would drop the pan first, if there is metal in the pan, its gonna need a major rebuild or overhaul.

like bearing babbit in motor oil or metal silt use a magnet on it?

just pieces of metal, some sediment on the magnet is normal. Pieces of metal debris, bits and pieces would indicate a bigger problem

could vac lines have anything to do with it I'm old school sb and bb block chevys th 350 and th 400 trans I hate computers and what they did to fix it yourself guys

No, the transmission is electronically controlled.

hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
my 69 Camaro did better on o2 test than my 75 monte carlo on same test fine tuned on old cars dilivers the same results

I hear ya! Thank you!!

hdgene
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician