Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a 2012 f350 4x4 when trans is put in reverse after…

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 f350 4x4 when trans is put in reverse after driving it locks up and won't move

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Has no codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

No codes when put in 4x4 drive wrench shows but 4x4 drive works

10/19/2017
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello will it work when the transmission is cold and only not move in reverse when hot or after moving forward? No noises or warning lights are on? Its full of transmission fluid and doesnt smell burnt or black?

We drove the truck around for awhile put it in reverse backed up a few feet and it locked up fluid is full and clean checked fluid in transfer case was slightly discolored took back cover off rear axle found nothing there has no codes has service 4x4 light when put in 4x4 high but locks in to 4x4 drive

Will it move forward now, or is it stuck not moving at all?

It's been drove 100 miles since it happened goes into reverse not sure if it had a stuck valve or something else but after driving it for awhile you try backing up and something locks up like binding

The reverse planetary is the weak link in this transmisison the planetary gear set is probably starting to fail, the gearset will blow apart and cause transmission failure. The reverse gear is hydraulic, so if its binding up the reverse plaentary gear set if the cause. This will require the transmission to be removed and overhauled to repair this concern.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

I'll pull the pan tomorrow and see what's in there

You should see some small bit of metal if the planetary is starting to fail.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Hello, do you need more help or information?

They are going to run it until it quits

Ok if i was helpful please remember to close the question by using the stars above to rate it. Thank you.

hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you!

hdgene
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician