Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 dodge 2500 5.9 vin 6 just replaced the transmission…

2003 dodge 2500 5.9 vin...
2003 dodge 2500 5.9 vin 6 just replaced the transmission with a salvage unit, changed both coolers with new. there is a long 1-2 shift after that it shifts fine. also after I changed it I had customer put about 700 miles on it and I rechecke the fluid and its pinkish dark so its dirty. there are no transmission codes other than the 1-2 shift issue customer is happy. I have drained the pan in my shop here and not to sure how to move forward. any suggestions would be very helpful
10/17/2017
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Try a transmission fluid flush if you can.This will free up and remove any debris build up in the transmission valve body.I have seen in several cases in the past before where debris build up in the valve body will cause this issue with delayed engagement and usually a flush can help break up and remove any debris to resolve this fault.

I would start with having this done since there are no codes set.Also using a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into this vehicle after the flush see if there is a transmission shift adaptation that can be relearned as some models have.This will help to relearn the shift points.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

what are your thoughts with the somewhat dark fluid that only has 700 miles on it? its certainly not the worst ive ever seen but I was hoping for a cleaner fluid

To me that can indicate there was already debris in the transmission and this is why a flush may help.But if there was no debris or if the issue continues after all of this is done this may be clutch material possibly.In this case you may want to speak with the facility you received the transmission from to see if they can send you another replacement at no cost to you and send this one back as it may have wear in it causing the dark fluid as well as the shift issue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic