Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1991 GMC Suburban transmission malfunction while in granny…

Customer Question
1991 GMC Suburban transmission...

1991 GMC Suburban transmission malfunction while in granny low. Do I need to replace the entire transmission or just the 4 - wheel drive section?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Fluid was fine I was driving up a steep hill and one of the tires slipped in some loose soil while in 4wd low

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am going to replace the transmission with a used one, but I was thinking about just changing out the rear section by itself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I work on cars myself and purchased a used Chevy Suburban of the same year that works great. They are both 1991 4wd 2500 models

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
10/4/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor

Hello my name is***** you give me a description of what it is doing.

When the*****in granny low automatic transmission failed I was able to drive it up my driveway to my house and I could hear metalic sounds like something was broken in the rear part of the transmission. I have a steep driveway. It failed as I mentioned when one of the wheels slipped in a muddy section loosing traction on one wheel while in low
I drove up the driveway in*****
I was thinking of just removing the rear*****unit but am not sure if it will be isolated to that section.

Thank you. Typically if you got a noise like this it is either a failure inside of the transfer case at the chain or a shell in the transmission failed. If the vehicle will move and not slip in two wheel drive then the transmission may be fine. I would remove the transmission pan and see if there is metal in it. If there is then the transmission has failed.

If there is no metal in the pan then is it complicated to leave the main transmission in place and remove the rear transfer case as a unit. I have worked on many vehicles but just not a transfer case, but as mentioned I purchase a used suburban on the cheap that the motor and tranny work great in. It's just not the nice model like my GMC. If this method works out with you I will pay for further contact with you and repair the transmission on my 1967 Ford F-250 with an automatic transmission that I have in the yard.

If the transmission appears fine and the fluid is fine with no metal in it then you can remove the transfer case and install a tailshaft from a*****transmission and replace the driver shaft.

I have an operating 4WD Suburban that I could take the transfer case of off and use on my fancier model. Then I could part out that Suburban and take the remaining sections to the recycler in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Yes you can definitely do that.

Well I'll get out there and get to work on it and see what happens. Thanks for your time!

No problem. If you need further help please let me know. Please rate my service when you have time. Thank you.