Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Is it possible and/or reasonable to put an automatic engine…

Customer Question
Is it possible and/or...

Is it possible and/or reasonable to put an automatic engine into the same year and model forester (2002) that had a manual in it previously?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

200,000 on the engine but a lot of work has been done to it. It is automatic, but was recently in a seroius fender bender. I have a body but it has a manual engine in it now.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Forester?

2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would have to pay someone to do the engine swap and buy the other body for $700. I have removed the passenger side front wheel and shock and strut assembly, pounded out the smashed frame so the wheel turns freely but it still rubs slightly on the spring. I don't think I can make it road safe.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it. Thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
10/3/2017
Transmission Mechanic: kalamykid, shop owner/tech replied 10 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech

This engine swap really is not that bad. You would have to install a pilot bearing into the back of the crank, but that is the only mod you would have to do. You will of course have to use your flywheel and clutch.