Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Was hesitating between 1st and 2nd gear for a couple of

Customer Question
Was hesitating between 1st...

Was hesitating between 1st and 2nd gear for a couple of weeks now the car won't accelerate at all when in drive. Also the battery is losing power and won't start without a jump now, I'm not sure if that is related to the other problems

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I have not and it is a 2005 Altima 2.5s, the transmission is the same as when manufactured I believe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I had put the car in Drive & the accelerator pedal gives no power. No increase in RPMs or anything. Same for in Reverse as well but they do go up in Park. I then tried putting fuel injector cleaner but the car died after having to be jumped.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that is all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/3/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

if you have a battery drain then the alternator may not be working

and a low battery voltage can effect Engine ECU function

so I'd begin by checking the battery voltage as the ECU needs minimum of 11.5V to function properly

If you charge the battery up and see if this effects the issue

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

if this is OK then I'd say to next check the level of fluid in the transmission and replace it if its black and sticky

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you