Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1999 standard ford ranger is locked in 4 low. First time…

Customer Question
My 1999 standard ford...

My 1999 standard ford ranger is locked in 4 low

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

First time 300,000 k

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried backing up and turning the switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
10/2/2017
Transmission Mechanic: EricFromCT, Auto Technician replied 10 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Auto Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Can you try putting the truck in neutral, stopped, with your foot on the brake and then switch it out of 4low.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for remembering to rate my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Tried that with no success
I have the vehicle up so I can see under. I wonder if the servo is stuck

Ok. You may want to check the electrical connector and the wiring underneath at the shift motor. You can try tapping on the motor while someone turns it out of 4low. If neither work you can remove the motor and shift the transfer case manually.

I have checked all the electrical and it seam fine. I will remove the shit motor and shift it out manually.
is there anything unexpected to look for

You can check all the fuses. Also the GEM module controls the electric shift control module, which has the clockwise and counter clockwise relays for the shift motor.

thanks for the information I have checked the fuse and will check the moduels

Ok. Let me know if you need some wiring diagrams. I can get them through the website, but they are 5 dollars to access and create them into PDF's. Let me know if that is something your interested in. Thanks

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back here to this chat. Thank you.