Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Changed out the transmission and now it will not shift out…

Customer Question
Changed out the transmission...

Changed out the transmission and now it will not shift out of 4th gear. Will shift into reverse and 4th and that is it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

Brand new oil

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Acura?

Just replaced with rebuilt transmission 2005 Acura MDX changed out the two solenoids and two sensor with factory new ones also

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ZDX yourself? What have you tried so far?

No have a mechanic fix it but he is having issues getting the car to shift out of 4th after he replace the transmission with the new one

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Have not had an answer in over an hour???
Well, maybe not over an hour, thirty minutes
10/3/2017
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if your transmission is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees a failure that will prevent proper operation it will set fault codes and lock you in a single gear to prevent damage.

There are many possible causes for limp in including speed sensors, the range sensor, solenoids, wiring, the trans controller itself and internal transmission issues.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a code reader or scan tool to see what fault codes are set and then testing can be one from there based on the findings.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!