Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2009 xj, will not go into any gear from park once

Customer Question
My 2009 xj, will...

My 2009 xj, will not go into any gear from park once transmission has warmed up. The car will release from the park position if the car has been cooled down for a while.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

Haha, that was my next question. Where is the transmission stick located?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing myself and haven't tried anything yet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
10/2/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder replied 8 months ago
Edward
Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Unfortunately, there is not a transmission dipstick on this vehicle, Jaguar put a 8mm allen plug on the back of the transmission passenger side. and that is how you fill up the transmission, you fill it up until the fluid just starts to run out, then install the plug finger tight, run it through the gears a few times, then remove the plug and fill it up until it just starts to run out and tighten the plug. No dipstick anywhere on this one unfortunately.

Just so I am clear on the symptoms, the transmission works like it should and engages correctly when it is cold. but once it warms up to operating temperature after about 10 minutes or so, it begins to slip and acts like it's in neutral no matter where you put the gear stick correct?

Not like that exactly. If the car is cooled down I can release the tranny from park and into a gear and it will drive fine but once I put the car back into park after it's been running even a short while, it will not release from park again. I was thinking this could also be a temperature sensor malfunction issue??

So the gear shift lever is stuck in park correct? and you can't get it in Drive or reverse or any other gear position other than park correct?

Correct

Alright, the first thing I would do when this episode occurs next, is make sure your brake lights work, as the shift interlock solenoid gets powered up through the brake lights, if the brake lights do function correctly with the brake pedal and the gear stick still will not come out of park, then likely the interlock solenoid is failing, or there is some other foreign object or material keeping the interlock solenoid from working like it should. The earlier Jags you could just turn the key to first position then put it in neutral. I believe 09 is the last year of a metal key blade, You have a metal key blade you turn to start the vehicle and not a engine START/STOP button correct?

Alright, try this, just turn the key to the very first position, and see if you can get the gear stick out of park.

Ok standby
I have to wait again until the car is warmed again. The problem doesn't present itself while cool. I'll be back shortly to you

Absolutely, let me know what you find there.

Won't release from park with key in any position. Brake lights do come on.

Alright, If the brake lights come on like they should, then the problem is going to be the interlock solenoid down in the shifter assembly, you can pop up the plastic bezel around the gear shifter, and on the drivers side of the shifter assembly, you should see part of the linkage that the interlock solenoid moves to disengage the shifter. You can manually push it with a screwdriver to get it to come out of gear until you can get it fixed. Either the linkage down in the shifter is jammed or gummed up, or the solenoid itself has failed. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Look in this area for the linkage to push with a flat head screwdriver to get it out of park. To fix it permanently however, I believe you will need a new interlock solenoid or to clean and lubricate the linkage.

I will. Do you know if the interlock solenoid is located under the J box or is it underneath next to the transmission? I looked up a couple of images online and came up with a few different pictures.

Interlock solenoid is in the shifter assembly itself. nothing but two bolts and a shifter cable bracket at the transmission.