Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Gear box fault light on. delayed shift into reverse. car…

Customer Question
Gear box fault light...

Gear box fault light on. delayed shift into reverse. car wont change gears when driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

2001

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Jaguar?

Stype v8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S-type V8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing so far. had fluid drained but not flushed 30k miles ago. experienced fault light then but mechanic reset with no issues until now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

A little bit of metal shavings were visible when the fluid and filter were changed

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/28/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Richard, Technician replied 10 months ago
Richard, Technician
This could be caused by a few different issues with the transmission. It could be an electrical fault like with the solenoid valves. It defi natelt could be mechanical since there was metal in the fluid or it even could be a problem with the shifter. To be sure we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. We can try using a generic OBD II tool available at your local parts store to see if you can read any faults.Let me know.
this answer could have been gotten from autozone. not pleased but im sure he is a good mechanic but this isn't worth paying for.
we will need the stored fault codes to proceed with a more accurate diagnosis. I do not want to recommend any repairs that may not be needed. I will be here if you need more assistance.