Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Xterra stays in nuetral and though shifter moves thay is all…

Customer Question
Xterra stays in nuetral...

Xterra stays in nuetral and though shifter moves thay is all i get

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

The dash wont leave the nuetal sign either .. not sure on fuse can check did not know there was one but it shifts just always says nuetral

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Xterra?

09

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just did it when pulled in driveway and would not set to park

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Onths a go no thats it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/28/2017
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the shifter moves normally but the transmission stays in neutral then the problem is pretty certainly with linkage. The shift cable may be off at the trans, at the shifter, or the cable may be broken. With the emergency brakes and wheels chocked, the cable should first be checked at the transmission. If it's actually attached and intact then it will need to be checked at the shifter. If also attached there then the shifter should be moved while watching the linkage at the trans. If it's not moving then the cable is broken.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!