Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My elderly neighbor has a 2007 Dakota 2WD 3.7V6 with 42RLE…

Customer Question
My elderly neighbor has...

My elderly neighbor has a 2007 Dakota 2WD 3.7V6 with 42RLE transmission. He said it was acting funny and the engine light came on. I checked the codes and they were C100A, P0716, P0731, and P1790. I found the defenitions, but not sure where to begin on helping him fix his truck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

No, codes in first post

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, nothing yet

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/27/2017
Transmission Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and instructor replied 10 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Could this be a bad input speed sensor?

Sure, it could be a lot of things, this is why we need to do ALL the testing I mentioned, especially the scan tool tests.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Do you have any more questions for me?

Thanks again, Ron

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.