Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmission failsafe mode is on and i am almost certain it…

Customer Question
Transmission failsafe mode is...

Transmission failsafe mode is on and i am almost certain it is just an electrical fault because it comes and goes and drives perfectly when it is not on. What i would like to know is how to delete the failsafe out of the computer totally

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

15000 klms

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

X5 3d 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Turning it on and off,disconnect the battery for 12 hours, and a computer reset as shown on utube

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/27/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

You need to have it scanned with bmw scanner or equivalent and retrieve fault codes and then we can pull up a pin point test to be accurate on what causing the fail safe mode ,the fact that it reset when you disconnect ,true indicate a module or a sensor failure ,tcm module in the under hood compartment driver side close to fire wall ,we have trans relay etc.. now that sensor or module could be engine or trans related that is why the scan is necessary here or it will be a guess and we end up throwing parts at it and we do not want to do that ,now if you get it scanned you can post the fault back here and i can help you fiuirther and be accurate , With that said , the 12 hours you mentioned is way to long to reset it

If it is in fail safe mode now if you reset using the procedure below will it reset ,and after reset how many miles you drive on it to go in limp mode again ,and how many miles on it at this time,when it was serviced last 15000 km ago, did they check fluid for any met shavings ,check

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Let start here and we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

it is getting too late at night and will have to start again tomorrow.please remember that i would like to totally get rid of the failsafe mode from the computer so it can never come on again
could you please email me the answer

yes sure we can continue tomorrow ,I understand we are in different time zone, i m on east coast U.S

read below how to get back in touch with me

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat