Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Trans is just wondering what transmission has the 064-12…

Customer Question
Trans is blown just...

Trans is blown just wondering what transmission has the 064-12 code

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Sorry not code the numbers that are across the outside of the bellhousing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Dodge?

Its actually a 2000 dodge 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well my bellhousing wwas cracked all the way across the top so I'm swapping hard parts and all into a new case

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/27/2017
Transmission Mechanic: kalamykid, shop owner/tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech

The A 518 transmission was used for many years. The number on the top of the bell tells you what engine the trans bolts to. Now here is the catch. Even if the two cases have the same number on the top, you still have to watch for the starter mounting. You can use a case as far back as 1992 as long as the numbers match, and the starter mounts the same. The starter mount can be on the other side of the case, or even smaller so make sure not to get the wrong one.

that being said it is an A 518 transmission correct? I already have a new case with the same starter size and side, just wasn't sure what this transmission was actually called.

Yes it is an A 518, unless it has the larger input shaft, then it is an A 618. The only difference is the input shaft size, a well as the pump stater. Both use the same internal parts so you can swap out your internals into the new case.

The chances of it being a A618 is slim. I have only seen one in all the years I have been building.

okay. while I have you... this is my first automatic transmission. so reason I pulled is because all my gears were binding up, reverse was the worst. when I pulled the torque converter off, the intermediate shaft was wobbling. what could cause my issue and what to look for as I'm tearing down.

Can you send me pics of the transmission as you take it apart? This will be the best way for me to tell if you have internal part damage? What all have you removed form the transmission to this point?

right now I have my valvebody, and the pistons that were inside of the pan off

So you have not removed the over drive section yet?

not yet

Then how do you know that the intermediate shaft wabbles?

maybe its nt the intermediate shaft. just the shaft that the torque converter slips onto

That is the input shaft, and it should move some.

Have you ordered any parts for this rebuild yet?

gotcha, so intermediate shaft is the one that runs through the overdrive unit? and haven't ordered anything yet I want to assess all the issues first and see whats needed order all at once

Where are you planing on getting your parts from?

The intermediate shaft runs out the back of the main unit and into the od section.

I have not yet decided yet,

Let me save you some money. You need to get all your parts from trans star. Once you have the unit torn down, if you can send me some pics I can see what all you need to order to make it work again.

Now for the hard part. Do you have a clutch drum press, as well as a big press? There are some other special tools that you will have to have to do this job. The over drive section is not something you want to just try to take apart with out the correct tools. There is a spring in it that can KILL you.

sweet, sounds good. I plan on getting a manual and learning more about it, which obviously I need. lol I do have a press and am aware of the 800lb spring, my dad seems to think he has the other tools needed. but we will see

If you can, get all the tools together and post a pic of them so I can make sure you have everything you will need.

will do.

Now the first thing you need to do is unbolt the od section next and remove it. This will make the trans easier to handle and get apart. Then unbolt the pump and remove it. Then all the rest of the internals will slide out once you have removed the bands.

removed od section

Did anything fall out?

no

On the back of the transmission there is an aluminum piece. There is an apply piston that you need to remove from the center of it.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech