Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 97' Jeep Wrangler 4,0L 5-Speed maunual I have

Customer Question
I have a 97'...

I have a 97' Jeep Wrangler 4,0L 5-Speed maunual I have dropped the skid plate and changed the transfer case oil already. I thought would change the transmission fluid also but I am struggling finding the fill and the drain? Are they on the drivers side or passengers side? Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

5k ago, but it's has a slight leak that may or may not be worth repairing at this point in time. i just want to drain and see how much it has leaked and then fill back up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes it's in my shop, I have changed the transfer case oil

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

the fill and drain should be allen bolts, the drain is at the bottom just ahead of the crossmember and the fill should be on the drivers side about halfway from the bellhousing to the crossmember. I am looking to get you pictures so you can see them.

Lou

here are 2 more pics. your trans should be the ax15 for the 4.5 engine.

hope this helps.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

I have taken my time to answer your question the best I could and I will continue to help if you need follow up information , all I ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so I may receive my credit for assisting you. the only way I am paid for my info and time is when you rate, if there is a issue with the info I sent and you need more help or anything then by all means please let me know and I will continue to help you, but please take the time to rate me so I may be paid. Thank you. Lou P.