Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have to replace transmission cable from shifter to

Customer Question
Have to replace transmission...

Have to replace transmission cable from shifter to transmission on 1996 mazda protege (automatic) task looks daunting help

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

165000 original tranny

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying -- have removed a few of the molding from around the shifter to reveal the cable which goes straight to firewall in a very tight area under and behind dash -----my research has indicated that a lot more work will need to be done --want to be efficient as i can no missteps

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Do i need any special tools that i would not have

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/25/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cpe37j2usk7hzo/0925-mazda-1.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/8cpe37j2usk7hzo/0925-mazda-1.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

ok --i kind of already know this ---- my concern is accessing the area under, or behind the dash where the cable threads thru the firewall ----- what are the steps to gain access to that area? i want to be efficient and do as little as i need to do --- does dash need to be removed? what are the steps? do i need any special tools??? any diagrams to help in this area?

YOU DONT NEED TO REMOVE THE DASH,,YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE CONSOLE TO BE ABLE TO GET TO THE CABLE

Tim HOW? What are the steps?? any diagrams? any special tools required? There is a lot of wiring in that area.

no special tools,,please look at the link

\