Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a problem with my transmission

Customer Question
I have a problem with my transmission
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/24/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you describe the problem that is occuring?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Some background information:
Van has 190,000 on original transmission
For about 20,000 miles it would occasionally shift hard from 1-2 or not shift to 2nd until I let off the gas a little bit
The hard shift from 1-2 seemed to occur after rain and also after engine is fully up to temperature
This didn't happen every time - symptom will come ago days at time and then drive fine for weeks or month.One day trans would not shift into gear at all after stopping at a stop light. Turning ignition off and on allowed trans to shift immediately. When I got home transmission was very hot with burning smell and I suspect fluid sprayed from the vent.I was able to reproduce the no shift problem later on and determined that problem happens when engine is warm i.e. lose all gears.
I checked trans fluid level when I lost gears and with engine idling and it was above hash marks so my conclusion was no pump

Is or has the check engine light come on with this fault at all or have fault codes been checked at all?

it did, but let me finish providing some additional background info

O.k., I will await your reply

What I have done since then:
I pulled the transmission and replaced the torque converter and pump shaft since these are known problems with the AX4N and some of the symptoms matched loss of fluid pressure. I also inspected the pump - all the vanes looked fine and I replace the pump gasket.
I checked resistance of all three shift solenoids and they were identical - I believe 17-Ohms or so
I removed and inspected N-D accumulator. Spring was intact.
I put trans back together with new Mercon V fluid and filter.
.....
Current Symptoms:
I don't lose all gears again when engine is warm.
However, the trans will not shift from 1 - 2 most of the time.
If I manual shift to 2nd and back to D it shifts to 3 and OD with no problem
I did speed stall test in all forward gears and they are within spec - around 2900 rpmWhen I removed fluild to replace torque converter I noticed lots of fine material around magnet and bottom of pan. There was no clumps or chunks of metal. The largest I found was the size of lead pencil head and it was soft.
Check engine light that came on before the TC replacement had to with TCC stuck - I don't remember the details but it pointed to not being able to shift into OD because TC will not lock. After TC replacement I've gotten "incorrect gear ratio" code.
That's it for my background information...

O.k.,this one is difficult for me myself to help with here.I will have to see if anyone else can help further here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 10 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Would you like me to try?

OKay we are going to need to go into the the transaxle to repair this concern. I see what you have done prior but is overhauling something you have experience with?

It depends on what needs to be changed. It's a lots of work so before I take the trans out again and tear it apart I'm looking for an expert opinion about the most likely cause of this. I understand clutch, valve body, accumulators and solenoids can all cause this. I'm trying to narrow it down so that I don't just throw parts at it. For instance I know that a completely rebuilt unit or reman unit is going to fix this. However, I only want to fix what is absolutely necessary with my current transmission. It's an old car and not worth putting in too much money in parts or service cost

In order top to bottom these are the things you need to check. https://www.dropbox.com/s/he8ozpjwavyan24/12shift.pdf?dl=0

Based on all you have done and wrote. I feel like the issue is going to be the :

• 1-2 shift valve sticking
  • 1-2 accumulator piston binding on the shaft
  • Intermediate clutch not getting enough pressure form leaks or not able to hold that pressure from leaks at seals or bushings.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Thanks. I know this much already and also have access to factory diagnostic tools and service manuals. I'm hoping to get more than general directions. For instance, how do the three issues you mentioned explain the symptoms I've described? What explains why I can shift manually from 1-2 but not automatically? What explains why van rolls back on a small incline while in gear? Does the stall test result rule out intermediate clutch problem? If not, why? What about the TCC solenoid error I used to get and my findings about the state of the torque converter I replaced? Is that consistent with any of the symptoms I've described?