Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 duramax, code 732, gear 2 incorrect ratio. If

Customer Question
2004 duramax, code 732...

2004 duramax, code 732, gear 2 incorrect ratio. If accelerate hard in 1st goes into limp mode. Will run fine again next time started. If go easy on throttle shifts fine. Have changed both filters and oil. No residues in bottom of pan and no smell to oil at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Two weeks ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 transmissions?

1000pk

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, filter and oil

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/23/2017
Transmission Mechanic: xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician

how many miles on the truck?

163k

can you get it to shift into 2nd?

shifts fine if I don't accelerate to hard, about 1/2 throttle. Once into second I can accelerate as hard as I want. And pulling my race car trailer it is fine once it goes into second

99 percent of the time its worn clutches.. attached is the test chart ...

ALLISON AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

DTC P0732

Circuit Description for Allison Automatic Transmission

The transmission control module (TCM) uses input from the turbine speed sensor and output speed sensor to determine gear ratios. The TCM then compares the known gear ratio to the calculated gear ratio for the current range.

DTC P0732 is a type A DTC.

Conditions for Running the DTC

DTCs P0716, P0717, P0721, P0722, P0875, and P0876 are not active.

The components are powered and ignition voltage is greater than 9.0 volts and less than 18 volts.

Output speed exceeds 200 RPM.

Second range is attained.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

DTC P0732 sets when the calculated second range ratio, steady state, differs from the known second range ratio.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The TCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) .

The transmission defaults to 3rd range while diagnostic response is active.

If the shift selector is moved to NEUTRAL, the transmission will shift to NEUTRAL.

If the shift selector is moved to REVERSE, the transmission will shift to REVERSE, unless the transmission is compromised by over speeding or direction change. If this occurs, the transmission will lock in NEUTRAL.

DTC P0732 will be stored in TCM history.

The TCM freezes shift adapts (DNA) .

The TCM inhibits torque converter clutch (TCC) engagement.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A scan tool can clear the code from TCM history. The TCM automatically clears the DTC from TCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without failure.

Diagnostic Aids

Incorrect ratio codes typically indicate mechanical conditions with specific clutches, such as C1 and C4 for 2nd range.

Incorrect ratio code could indicate a hydraulically failed solenoid. Observe DTC information for specific solenoid.

Clutch test mode can be used to observe stall speed.

You may have to drive the vehicle in order to experience a condition.

Test Description

Steps 1-10

Zoom Sized for Print

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step tests ignition voltage.

This step tests for turbine speed not remaining at zero in second range.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
John S

hope you can rate my service 5 star

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
Thank You
John S

xsvectOR
xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician