hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

2002 Dodge 2500 will not go in reverse. I was going to try

Customer Question

2002 Dodge 2500 will not go in reverse
JA: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to try to change the relay not sure where it is
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 122,000 miles not sure on the battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just need to know where the relay is located. Any other words of wisdom he or she can provide
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  hdgene replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is an automatic transmission? Is it full of trans fluid? Does the fluid smell burnt or look black? Are there any warning lights on? All the forward gears are ok, it just acts like its in neutral when you put the shifter in reverse?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
auto trans has fluid and looks clean. Acts like it is in nuetral
Expert:  hdgene replied 29 days ago.
Ok if it has no reverse but forward is ok. It is a failure of the reverse clutch drum/hydraulic circuit. You will always have reverse and one forward gear if all the electronics fail to limp home. So the trans has an internal failure that will require it's removal and either taken apart to overhaul that trans or replacing the transmission