Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My transmission fluid pan had a leak. As I was driving, the…

My transmission fluid pan...

My transmission fluid pan had a leak. As I was driving, the wind drove small amounts of fluid onto the catalytic converter. When I stopped in traffic, the heated fluid smoked. I removed the pan, resealed it with Permatex, filled the transmssion with fluid. Now the transmission won't engage. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you actually see the leak? And is the fluid itself bright red, or is it dirty?

I fixed the leak by replacing the seal and refilled the transmission with new ATF fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

03 Subaru Outback Base model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

All I did was drain the fluid out of the pan, replace the seal, and refill the fluid..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all i've done.

9/21/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Did you fill the transmission using the dipstick tube on the passenger side?

Correct.
I may have overfilled it. The dipstick, as you know is hard to reach. I'll have to loosen the drain plug and let some leak out, I assume.

No, the problem is you just filled the front differential with ATF, that dipstick isn't the ATF dipstick. That is on the driver side of the car back by the power brake booster. You need to drain the front diff completely and add gear oil, and add transmission fluid to the transmission on the driver side dipstick. Usually about 3 - 3.5 quarts. This will get you back up and running.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Is the differential plug the one just ahead of the transmission fluid pan?
I found the transmission fluid dipstick. I assume that's where I fill the transmission with fluid? Any idea how many quarts to fill it?

Yes, right at the base of the differential. I think it's still the 22 mm or 7/8's.

Transmission should take about 3 to 3.5 quarts and yes, that is where you fill the atf.

then the passenger side is the gear oil side. I think it's about a quart of gear oil, but I would start with half and check it. It's been a bit for me, since I did a drain and fill on one of these.

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Mike, you're friggin awesome. Thanks so much!!!

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating.

It takes 1.2 L of 80-90 gear oil.

Thank you for the rating!