Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

On a 2003 dodge 2500 dieselwith an automatic trans. It has a

On a 2003 dodge 2500 diesel*****with an automatic trans. It has a hard downshift from 2nd to 1st when you are slowing down coming to a stop like a loud clunk. But it upshifts perfect and downshifts perfect except that on downshift

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light come on with this issue here at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No check engine light

O.k.,with no check engine light this issue here may be a fault with debris build up in the transmission valve body itself.I have seen debris partially plug ports in the valve body causing this type of fault here needing repaired.Usually all that is needed is to have a transmission fluid flush performed to remove the debris from the transmission valve body.

In some cases it can be a shift solenoid that gets debris in it as well and usually the flush will free up and remove this debris.

I would have this done to see if this resolves the issue here.If it does not then have the shift solenoids tested for any issues.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete