Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a "flutter" when it shifts at a low speed, usually…

Customer Question
I have a "flutter"...

I have a "flutter" when it shifts at a low speed, usually from 2nd to 3rd. I was told it was the transfer and had it replaced, it still did it, then the drive shaft was replaced, still does it. Was told it was the transmission, took to AAMCO, analyzed, said it was not transmission. Took back to BMW, was told it may be the Software as they did not do a software update after replacing transfer and drive shaft. Where do I go from here???

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Not a drop of leakage

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2012 X3 - 35i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, had it to BMW.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

After the initial "flutter", it runs great, shifts great all the time, no shifting problem except for the flutter.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/21/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you say it flutters is it acting like it is trying to shift but isnt able to properly shift at all? or flutters between the lower and higher gear as it tries to shift?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Flutters between shifts - appears to be no problem shifting

Does it only occur between 2nd and 3rd gear and does it change at all under hard acceleration or light acceleration with this flutter?

Any warning lights on on the dash at all?

Usually between 2nd and 3rd, does not change under hard acceleration. Also, now lights at all, it has been at BMW and AAMCO and nothing shows on diagnostic

O.k.,since nothing is showing up under their testing this can make it difficult to diagnose.But if they did not check for any software updates for the engine and transmission this needs done.

The other issue I have seen is a fault with a shift solenoid in the transmission itself not operating properly.Not allowing enough fluid pressure at this shift point that can cause the fluttering.

If the engine and transmission operates normally at all other stages of operation then I would see about a software update first.If this does not resolve the issue ask them to look into the shift solenoids for proper operation and transmission valve body.They would need to do some testing to see if either of these are an issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I just had it to BMW for a software update, nothing changed

O.k.,the next step is for them to check the shift solenoids for any issues to see if a solenoid needs replaced like the 2-3 shift solenoid.If this is found to be o.k. then I would have the transmission valve body tested to see if this is a valve body fault needing flushed out or replaced.In some cases a transmission fluid flush will free up and remove debris stuck in the valve body and can correct issues like this here.I have done this before to resolve the flutter type feel.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Do you have any contacts with BMW transmission mechanics in central West Virginia or near for me to take it to for service. I know there are mechanics that work on them like I had one for a Volvo that was excellent, and much cheaper than BMW people.

Unfortunately I am not located in your area so I personally do not know of any contacts for repairing this myself.

All of the shops listed below though are some you can check into to see if you can find one you like.

https://www.bimmershops.com/bmwshops/west-virginia

It is hard to find a good mechanic but once you do find on you would most likely want to stick with him.

Thanks Pete