Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 saturn ion manual. I have a loud clunk sound when I…

Customer Question
2004 saturn ion manual...

2004 saturn ion manual. I have a loud clunk sound when I take off and when I coast in gear and touch the gas pedal. I looked under the car and where the cv half shaft goes into the trans it has some play what causes this

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No and starts just fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing myself. I just put a clutch in it and thought one of the trans mounts were loose but there all tight and in good condition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Leaking transmission fluid

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/21/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So the wear your experiencing in the c/v axle is pretty normal for that vehicle, have you checked all the motor and trans mounts to make sure your not getting extra play when engaging the gears?