Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm working on a 1954 Cadillac and I need to remove the

Customer Question
I'm working on a...

I'm working on a 1954 Cadillac and I need to remove the automatic tranny to replace the front seal. how does the tranny come out?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your transmissions? Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its a 1954 Cadillac series 60 Fleetwood and the transmission is hydro-matic engine is a 331 I'm trying to separate the engine from the transmission do you have unbolt the torque convt from the flywheel to remove the trasmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/19/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 11 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

good morning

tough trans to work with.

there is a fluid coupling in those days not like todays torque converter. there is a lot of bolts holding it to the flywheel that must be removed to remove the trans. once it is out you have to disassemble the fluid coupling to get to the front of the trans for the seal. it will be more than just the seal. there are bushings as well that will need to be done.

looked around for my old manuals but I must have got rid of them when I moved. I did many of these and they are not pleasant. I will look around for more info for you.

Roy

thank you will let him know
please send to email as he is at work

have to post here. we have no access to your personal info. we do not work for the site. we are sub contractors who get paid only when you accept our answers/

anyway instead of trying to talk you through it, I saw a video from a guy I used to know that is doing a strip down and he made a u tube video. take a look at it.

Roy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VOzDso7xKA

Roy

do you need any other help??

Roy