Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a 2005 QX56 which will not accelerate. If shifting

into gear from a cold...
I have a 2005 QX56 which will not accelerate. If shifting into gear from a cold start, it will drive with no problem. However, by the time I reach a stop sign or traffic light, and apply the gas pedal, the engine revs slightly, and the vehicle begins to creep along, slowing catching speed up to 15-20 mph. It does go in reverse perfectly fine though.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: I didn't mention vehicle lights
JA: Are you fixing your QX56 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: clamps were replaced on the transmission line, as there was a bad leakage, and a new battery was put in.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Some of the gauges on the dash stopped working as well.
9/18/2017
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic

Good morning,

What you describe sounds like either the transmission fluid is low or the transmission is damaged internally.

Was it driven with the fluid level low?

Have you checked the fluid level yet?

The mechanic whom took a look at it, put some fluid in, but I don't think it was much. After he put the fluid in, is when I attempted to drive it around the block to test out

It sounds like the fluid level is still low. This vehicle requires specific fluid, so be sure that regular dexron III fluid isn't used. It needs to be Nissan-matic J or a compatible universal transmission fluid.

Ok. I'm pretty sure that was not the fluid used. Shall I have the remaining fluid drained, and then the correct fluid put in? Do I have to put in some sort of flush solvent?

It would probably help to have the fluid replaced, but typically flush solvents do more harm than good on these transmissions.

That fluid should be ok. It meets the Nissan Matic-J specifications. I would make sure it's at the correct level first.

If it leaked to the point where the vehicle was driven with low fluid the transmission might have been damaged.

When I first noted the leakage, I parked the truck, and it sat for months. ALL of the fluid leaked out, on the passenger side of the truck. He poured some in, so he could see where it was leaking from, and then he put the new clamps on. After putting in the new battery, he started it, and asked me to drive it down the street and back..in which case it was driving fine. The next day, I attempted to go around the block, but when I got to the traffic light about 1/4 mile away, pressed the gas, it started creeping again.

You don't have any warning lights illuminated on the dash right?

There are some on...VLC, Service Engine Soon, Slip, and Brake (new brakes and rotors are going to be put no all around)

Your best bet is to have it scanned to see what system is triggering a fault. The vehicle may be in limp mode which keeps it from entering 1st gear.

Alright. What kind of scan is it, that needs to be done, so I'll know what to ask for

Pretty much any good parts store will be able to scan it for codes, usually for free.

Now that I think about it, last year I hooked up to the OBD connector. I remember the code referencing catalytic converter. The light went away a few days later though. Could that be the problem??

Normally a plugged catalytic converter will cause low power at high rpms. It would rarely cause any issues from idle.

it was something about #2 bank catalytic converter. That's all I can remember. I will have someone scan it again, nonetheless.

It sounds like more of a transmission issue than anything. I'm guessing you will see an input turbine ratio code or something similar.

Ok. I will get the scan taken care of. I definitely appreciate the help you've given me today!!!

Please let me know what comes up and I'll be happy to help from there.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic
Alright. I definitely will do so.

Thank you!

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic