Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Speedometer doesnt work and transmission shifts late on 1997…

Customer Question
Speedometer doesnt work and transmission...
Speedometer doesnt work and transmission shifts late on 1997 expedition
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/18/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 11 months ago
Todd M

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The issue that you are having is going to be due to a faulty vehicle speed sensor. This sensor is responsible for the signal to the speedometer and it indicates the vehicle speed to the PCM and allows for smooth and proper shifting. In order to confirm this, you can have the vehicle scanned and the sensor inspected. Here, I am attaching the location, replacement, and description of operations. There is also a recalibration procedure included.

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Left rear of transmission C186
Transmission Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 11 months ago

The VSS is the most likely cause for your issue.

I have already replaced the vss and the sensor on the differential as well as tried a different cluster. Unless the cluster i tried was also bad.
I even pulled the tail section off the transfer case to check the drive gear for the vss and its still good
Transmission Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 11 months ago

You should definitely be sure the cluster is sound. If so, the next step is to have to circuits from the VSS to the cluster and PCM inspected to be sure that they are sound. This is done by checking the continuity of the wiring. If the wires are good, then the PCM should be inspected.

Is there a way to test the cluster?
Transmission Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 11 months ago

Here is cluster testing information for an inoperative speedometer.

Ok i got a chance to test everything and i wasnt getting any readings so i replaced the wire going from the pcm to the vss and still no luck
Ive already replaced it once, but it is possible the junkyard one is also bad. I have it rebuilt and see if that fixes it.
Transmission Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 11 months ago

Sounds good. Keep me posted.

Transmission Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 10 months ago

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.