Trans_ Service
Trans_ Service, ..................
Experience:  .................
14892859

My jeep cj t5 transmission I just put in shifts notchy? I

My jeep cj t5 transmission I just put in shifts notchy ? I wanted to see if someone could tell me some possible reasons- like fluid type etc

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If you have a 1982 T-5, those transmissions tend to be VERY notchy. Back when these transmissions were new, they came with 80/90 gear lube. Somewhere around 1983 or 84, and colder climates were where these vehicles were, it would not shift in winter. AMC/Jeep sent out a technical service bulletin instructing us to use half 80/90 and half Dexron ATF fluid. Today, the general consensus is 100% Dexron/Mercon III

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
notchy shifting is common with the jeep t5. Was that the case even when new or after some wear do you know ? I have penzoil synchro mesh in there now and I will try 100% dexron/mercon111

T-5 shifters were NOTORIOUS for notchy. Brand new they were notchy. Many complaints about that. Some were hard to get into gear, any gear, when the temps were below 20 degrees F.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Okay. That's good to know. I will change from the penzoil synchro mesh to the dexron/mercon III. is there anything else I can do to improve the shifting like a short throw shifter or something ?

Not really. The T-5 was not a great transmission.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Damn. I got it for the overdrive . I think it's noisy if you upshift too early , is that normal ? But with overdrive it makes my engine happier with 4.10 gears at 65 mph.

You need to have 5th gear with 4:10s. The T-5s were very noisy. They only used then from 82 t0 86, then switch to Aisen Warner 5-speed trans,

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Good to hear. Do you recommend a particular brand of dexron III /mercon ?

They are all the same.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Okay and it is dexron III/mercon not dexron/mercon III right ?

Dex 3/Mercon

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Okay cool. You're very helpful. 1 more thing . The fsm says like 2 qts to filll it up . That puts it below the fill hole. I thought I saw at 1 time to fill it starts to run out the fill hole

Fill it till it is just under the hole.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ok cool
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Is valvoline max life okay. It says it satisfis like II,III, and IV dexron mercon

yes. That is OK.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hey , when I rebuilt this t5 I checked and adjusted the end play at the clutch shafts rather than the outputshaft . Is that okay ?

There should be no endplay on the input or output shafts

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I checked endplay then added shims to get rid of endplay and to preload but I did it by going off the endplay measurement of the clutch shaft. That's how you do it ?

Yes; I believe you are correct.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Okay good

Ok. There are some other fluids you can investigate online that may help the notchy feel. I have heard that there is a synthetic fluid that may help, but I have not tried it in any T5s

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Do you happen to know what any of those fluids are. ?

Look into Royal Purple Manual trans fluid

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Okay

ok

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Can you tell if it's better right away or do you have to run it for for a few before it takes effect

Cannot say for sure; That info is from a customer who has it. Seems to be happy with it.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Okay so it may or may not take a few to see the improvement

I would doubt it becomes massively better. The T-5 were notchy when new

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I have penzoil synchromesh in there now. Is that compliant ?

I am reasonably sure that is ok.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
OK thanks man

You are very welcome. Thanks for choosing Just Answer.