Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 gmc sierra 2500hd sle 6.0 4x4, most of the…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 gmc sierra 2500hd sle 6.0 4x4, most of the time when I put it in reverse it fells like the drive shaft is turning put the vehicle dose not move and then i put it in nuteral and back to reserve and then sometimes it will go into reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra 2500HD yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fresh oil

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Olny a couple 100s

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/17/2017
Transmission Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and instructor replied 11 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

First, look underneath to see if that is actually happening, then,

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.