Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My automatic transmission in my Chevy Cruze recently sounds…

Customer Question
My automatic transmission in...

My automatic transmission in my Chevy Cruze recently sounds like it in 2nd or 3rd gear when I'm just driving normally without stopping at lights an so on. It just sounds louder and feels like it should be upshifting. Tach is usually around 2 unless I go up an incline and then it shoots up to 3-4 and power seems lower.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

Yes it's original Mileage is around 34,000

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cruze?

2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cruze yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried nothing. My husband was the mechanic but he passed away

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I've been getting the service Stabilitrak warning for the past few months

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Transmissions
9/17/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This issue here can be related to the stabilitrak issue.If there is a failing wheel speed sensor it can send a false signal on the wheel speed and can cause this fault here.I have seen speed sensors cause the no upshift issue.But I have also seen issues with shift solenoids in the transmission valve body needing replaced as well as a mechanical fault with the valve body itself in some cases with it needing replaced.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out with a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.There will be at least one code set to help locate the fault here.Any shop or dealer can read out, diagnose and repair the code set for a fee.A local parts store will usually read out the codes at no charge to you but usually cannot diagnose the fault but can give you an idea of what is at fault.This does have to be done to help locate which component is at fault needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete