Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Transmission feels sluggish especially when getting onto on

ramps or climbing small hills...
transmission feels sluggish especially when getting onto on ramps or climbing small hills and bridges
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: january 2015
JA: What is the model of your '15 Dodge?
Customer: its an 02 dodge ram 1500 5.9l gas 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: thinking about dropping the pan and doing a flush
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: could it be a torque converter or solenoid issue or a straight tranny/rebuild issue
I have a lift and bigger tires on it I know that can cause loss of power but this seems too much of a loss to blame those enhancements. Gears aren't slipping or reving high just seems like it makes more noise then actual increase in speed
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Has this been a concern since new, recent occurance, been occurring a while?

It's been a while just never really matters I remember it having more get up and go years ago, it has 170k miles on it the trans oil color is good not new but not dark a more orange/red color not concerning color it's full not low. Going up hills and if I need to get going off a light to accelerator seems like it doesn't have that torque in the first few 100 feet

Are you noticing the rpms higher than normal or the rpms rising to fast bt speed not increasing equally?

The rpms seem about normal.

Based on that response the transmission and converter are doing just fine. I suggest you look more into the engine.

Try some injector cleaner in the fuel tank at double strength, clean the throttle body, fog the intake and combustion chambers using sea foam sucked in through a vacuum line, do a tune up, replace any worn filters, check the compression to see if the engine is weak.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician