kalamykid
kalamykid, shop owner/tech
Experience:  I have owned my own trans shop for 6 years.
5629372

I have a 1999 ford ranger xlt manuel transmissin when

I have a 1999 ford ranger xlt manuel transmissin when running wont shift into any gear but will if off alsi when I start my truck in first gear it DOESNTtry and take off on me and seems to shift alright. Trying to determin if its trans, clutch, slave/master cylinder at a loss at the moment
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No trouble with slipping but a little hard to get into first gear when starting from a stop but it's been like that since I've had the truck and no it wasn't right but thought it might just be a cable. But today for some reason wont shift at all but like I said will when the car is off
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I could do it myself and I haven't done anything really other than looking at the master cylinder reservoir and noticed it was dark and I only did that for a quick minute and it seemed to be at the right level but dark maybe even black
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No nothing that comes to mind I've been looking at a lot of videos on YouTube and it's kind of all over the place it sounds like it could be a master cylinder slave cylinder or clutch fingers

This is going to be a hydrolic problem. Either the system has air in it, the master cylinder is bypassing, or the slave cylinder is hanging up. I have also seen the throw out bearing cut its way through the fingers on the clutch pressure plate, but you would be getting a roaring sound from the clutch. With the fluid in the clutch master cylinder being black, you will need to replace both the master and slave cylinder. Now for the bad news. The slave cylinder is inside the bell housing so you will have to pull the trans out to replace it. With this being the case, it would also be a good idea to replace the clutch while the trans is out so you do not have to do it latter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah i know its in the housing ford go figure huh. O well and yeah and no roaring sound and i balieve the ckutch was done recently as well. Thanks a bunch. Ill check for air in yhe system and go fron there thsnks again

You are very welcome.