Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

My 2002 Ford F250 4x4 Lariat is not engaging in 4-wheel

Customer Question

My 2002 Ford F250 4x4 Lariat is not engaging in 4-wheel drive and I have no power to the switch on the dash and no 4x4 light
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just bought it so I'm just trying to figure out if it's a vacuum deal behind the battery on the passenger side I think is the 4x4 vacuum solenoid and it has to outlets coming out of it for a vacuum hose and only one has a hose going to it I'm wondering if the other one should go
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Dave Hopkins replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to JA.... The single hose is the vacuum Inlet of the iwe solenoid which is called the independent wheel and solenoid the other two hoses one goes to each of the front wheels so you should have vacuum when you're in two wheel drive which would pull the Hub out away from the wheel when you put it in 4-wheel drive it stops the vacuum and allows the Hub to engage so the*****works that iwe solenoid is a common failure on those vehicles
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would that cause the four-wheel-drive indicator light not to come on
No, it would not.....do you have a knob that you turn to engage 4x4 or a shifter on the floor?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Knob
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is vacuum pressure going to the solenoid but the hoses were taken off and and switched around that little black peace where two of the hoses go into one and then plugs into the solenoid was taken off and put on another part of the vacuum system... It was hooked on up where the t is where they go off under the motor into the calipers
Ok....take the hose that you know has vacuum going to it and put that aside the other two hoses that go to that solenoid one goes to each of the front wheels if you don't know which hoses which at this point because somebody has moved them around go down to the wheel and you will see the vacuum hose their blow compressed air into it and you will find out at the other end which hose it is because the air will be coming out then you can hook that up to the two Outlet ports on the iwe solenoid then hook the vacuum line up to the single Inlet port on the iwe solenoid you may have to replace the iwe solenoid because usually what happens is water gets into the solenoid and shorts it out but this way at least you'll have it hooked up correctly when you know which vacuum lines go where
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try in morning...is there a way to manualy put into*****..im in a bind and need*****
No...you have vacuum operated hubs
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not quite sure which hoses go to which outlets and inlets I only see two outlets and that's the one that that black connector hooks to with the two vacuum lines going into it
That's why I told you to disconnect the vacuum lines down at the front hubs and blow compressed air into them then you will know which ones go to which wheel because air will be coming out the other end by the independent wheel and solenoid that way you can determine which vacuum line goes to which wheel