sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I had my 1999 Diesel Dodge 3500 transmission rebuilt, but

Customer Question

I had my 1999 Diesel Dodge 3500 transmission rebuilt, but sometimes it gets stuck in first. The old transmission did the same thing right before it was rebuilt. I will pull off the road and disconnect the batteries and that will usually fix it. I just had a rebuilt ECM put in and flashed at the dealership. The guy who rebuilt the trans checked it out and he cleaned and resized some wires and or connections.
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Its the original engine and has 310,000 miles. New air filter put on when they flashed the new ECM. Oil changes are regular. Other than that I guess thats it.
JA: Are you fixing your B3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: When it gets stuck in first I disconnect the batteries and that will work for a few days.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be causing it to stay in first gear. It coudl be a governor issue, a sticking 1-2 shift valve in the valve body, it could be a kickdown band servo issue but that wouldn't usually cause an intermittent problem.

Have you checked for fault codes in the PCM?